Tuesday, August 16, 2011

10 Day You Challenge - Day Two: Nine Loves


1.  Although I am not a morning person, I love mornings on the weekends. There is a quiet, peacefulness about a Saturday or Sunday morning. Most people are still in bed or just relaxing at home; and the people who are out and about aren’t in rush mode so there is a relaxed feel about the streets and the supermarkets...or wherever people are on weekend mornings.

2.  I love all four seasons. Summer is my favorite, but I love the smell of spring and its promise of summer’s approach; and I love the explosion of blossoms on the trees. I love the fall for the cool, crisp air and the pretty leaves; I love the winter for Christmas and for fresh snowfalls; and although most people complained about the last winter we had where it snowed just about everyday, I loved every bit of it. Now that I think about it, I’m wondering why summer is my favorite. Spring is pretty for the blossoms, fall, pretty for the leaves, and winter, pretty for the snowflakes. What ‘pretty’ does summer bring?? Heat waves are not pretty. I guess I love the idea of what summer used to mean to me when I was in school and we were off for two months.

3.  I love the supermarket because I love fresh produce. All this 10-day-Challenge is doing is showing how much of a cornball I am. Psssh…Anyway, food makes me feel good and it makes me feel better if everything in my meal is fresh. Fresh Cilantro, Parsley, Basil… Meals just taste better when they are made with fresh ingredients and because I don’t live near a farm, I get a little excited when I find them at the supermarket; which is happening more often.

4.  I love to trying to do everything from scratch. I say ‘trying’ because I’m lazy. If something is simple I will do it. Like this weekend I made Turkey Chili and the recipe was so simple that I remembered what to buy from the last time I made it without needing to make a list. Yes! Sometimes recipes can be so complicated it just discourages me from making the meal. I’m a little domesticated, so I think if I were born in a different time, I would be the type of woman who made her own cheese and sewed all of her clothes by hand. I have a sewing machine, which I used to hem a few on my pants but something went wrong and I can’t figure out what so I hem everything by hand if it needs to be shortened. I also knit, but I knit very simple pieces because reading a pattern would require too much brain power…I am impatient so I take pleasure in time saving short cuts, but I love trying.

5.  I love my cat. I wasn’t a pet person before I got her, so I understand that people who don’t have pets won’t understand my attachment to this cat. She always, always greets me at the door when I come home. She’s so cute, and fat and squishy (even though she’s not supposed to be fat and squishy) and she makes me talk in a voice that goes like this…

6.  I love my family. This includes everyone that I love. My mom is a great friend because she is a vault. She is someone who you can tell anything and she will never repeat it. She leads by example because she doesn’t talk her own business. I could take a page out of her book, but I’m too open with my business and my mouth. My brothers are fantastic young men who are doing positive things with their lives. I wish there were more black, young men like them out there. And I love all of the people who don’t share my DNA, but share my life. I have been blessed to have some of the best people the world has to offer in my life as extended family. Aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, lovers. It’s amazing how your life can become so intertwined with people who were strangers at one point.

7.  Although my home might not reflect this because at times I can be messy, I love a clean home. I love cleaning products for what they do for my home. My home might be messy, but it WILL be disinfected. I love clean floors, a clean sink, a clean toilet and a clean kitchen. I should have put this is my secrets, but I don’t like when other people wash my dishes. They never clean them the way I do. If it doesn’t squeak, it’s not clean. But everyone doesn’t think this way. GREASY DISHES ARE NOT CLEAN!

8.  I love being independent. I would much rather share certain experiences with people, but I love that if I have to do whatever activity by myself, I won’t let someone not being able to join me stop me from doing what I want to do. Although it’s wonderful to be taken care of, I love not having to rely on anyone else if I have to take care of something by myself.

9.  I love my determination. Is it bad that I’m not being modest here? If I say I’m going to do something for myself, I do it. The only time I don’t to something I set out to do, is when I involve others in the mix; which goes back to being independent. Sometimes others add to what you want to do, but sometimes they can distract you from what you are supposed to be doing. For me, my word is bond! Took it to the BX, son! I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but I was born with this desire for the finer things in life. I might not get all of the finer things, but I will get some… I promise me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment