Friday, August 5, 2011

Restaurant of the Month - La Cocina Boricua

It’s time I start showing my borough some love. The Bronx gets a bad rap, but it’s really not as bad as the news says it is. I promise!

With the Bronx having a hefty population of Latin dwellers, the Latin culture is spread all throughout the borough providing an abundance of tasty places to eat. YUM!

My sixth featured Restaurant of the Month is La Cocina Boricua (The Puerto Rican Kitchen):

2245B Westchester Avenue
Bronx, NY 10462
Cuisine: Puerto Rican


I'm sorry that I don't have a better picture, but it was dark when I took it.

I’d walked past La Cocina Boricua a few times before I actually dined there. The word ‘Puerto Rico’ got my attention and I made it my business to get myself there for a sit down meal. Just by looking in the window and at the menu, I could already tell that I would enjoy the restaurant.


They gave me their menu, but I didn’t attach it because I like the way it looks on their website. See their menu:


From the menu, I have eaten the Camarones al Ajillo, Arroz y Habichuelas, y Maduros (Shrimp in Garlic Sauce, Rice and Beans and Sweet Plantains) and the Pernil con Arroz y Habichuelas (Pork Shoulder with Rice and Beans). The Pernil was not mine, but I stole a few pieces off the plate of my dining companion. I would say that you can’t go wrong with Latin food. It’s usually like a party in your mouth, but I’ve been to places where the food was a little bland. La Cocina Boricua is definitely not one of them. The food is delicious!

The sangria is AMAZING! Some places skimp on their serving sizes, but at La Cocina Boricua, you are served a large wine glass sized amount of sangria. And it sneaks up on me. I don’t notice that I might be a little more than tipsy until my mouth feels tired; like I might have been talking nonstop for the past hour about... Who knows?

There is a happy hour, but because I work in the city I’m never around to take advantage of it.

The second you walk into the restaurant your ears are greeted with both lively and mellow Salsa tunes (played at an adequate volume). Because Salsa music ignites a passion in me that makes me want to burst out of my seat, I couldn’t sit still the entire time I was there.

The atmosphere and the décor are cozy and intimate; and the staff’s warm, accommodating manner made me feel well taken care of.


The owner of La Cocina Boricua is also very warm and friendly. He makes the rounds chatting with customers and making sure that you have a good dining experience. It might not seem like it, but the owner hanging out at his own place of business is great advertisement and great customer service. Having a short conversation with your customers goes a long way, because it makes them feel connected. Meeting the owner makes the restaurant a little more significant instead of it being just a random place to eat. And the owner having a good personality certainly doesn’t hurt his cause. Good job, Owner Galarza!!

Visit their website to view more of their menu options.

Enjoy, and until next time, happy eating!

~Louise C.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to check this place out!!!

    www.adventuresofmodernmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete