Friday, February 17, 2012

Burgers NYC


On Valentine’s night, while everyone was packing themselves into restaurants like sardines; or waiting outside in the cold for a table to free up, Edward and I took refuge in the near empty and QUIET New York Burger Co..

No matter how hungry I am, I never ever manage to finish a burger. Thankfully New York Burger Co. has a mini burger option (above) which was perfect for me! And although their sauce bar looked inviting, I wasn’t feeling adventurous that night so I stuck to regular old ketchup. And best of all, they serve wiiiiiinne!

I’ve had burgers at places where the meat is unseasoned and bland, but the burgers are New York Burger Co. were tasty, juicy and muy delicioso.

There are plenty of great burger joints in New York which I haven’t yet had the pleasure of visiting.

I don’t have a ‘go to’ burger joint, but Brother Jimmy’s BBQ makes great burgers and also has that mini burger option for me. Connelly’s is an Irish pub (where you wouldn’t expect to find a good burger) and although some might not agree with me, Connolly’s makes the most amazing Incredible Lamb Burger. These burgers are not beef, but The Ainsworth makes appetizing crab cake sliders.

If you love burgers, making your own is the best way to go because you can dash and dice your ingredients to flavor your burgers to taste exactly how you like them. And if you don’t have a grill, no worries, the George Forman grill works just fine… and your burgers will be better (healthier) for you.

My favorite burgers to make are the Bordertown Burgers with Spicy Onions. This Tabasco recipe, which was recommended to me by Daisy, can also be made with ground turkey. The recipe serves four, but I make slider size portions and serve them on mini buns with sweet potato fries. Mmmm…

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, divided
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
  • 4 hamburger buns, toasted
  • Mixed baby greens

PREPARATION

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring often. Stir in 1 tablespoon TABASCO® Chipotle Sauce and the Worcestershire sauce; mix well and remove from heat.

Combine ground beef, cilantro, green onion, salt and the remaining 3 tablespoons TABASCO® Chipotle Sauce; mix well and shape into 4 burgers. Grill over medium-high heat to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Top each burger with a slice of cheese and grill just until melted. Place on buns and top with spicy onions and baby greens.

I plan on making it my business to broaden my horizons and visit at least five of the ten restaurants which were rated for having the best burgers in New York.

I’ll add Five Guys to that list because there is one near my job and I’ve heard all sorts of good stuff about their food.

Now on the Ten Best…

    25 W. Houston St.
    New York, NY 10012

    Le Parker Meridien New York
    119 W. 56th St.
    New York, NY 10019
    331 W. Fourth St.
    New York, NY 10014
    299 Bowery St.
    New York, NY 10003
    5724 Roosevelt Ave.
    Woodside, NY 11377

    548 Court St.
    Brooklyn, NY 11231

7. Mark
    33 St. Marks Pl.
    New York, NY 10003
    5 E. 51st St.
    New York, NY 10022
    Madison Square Park
    New York, NY 10010

10. Stand
      24 E. 12th St.
      New York, NY 10003

Enjoy and until next time, happy eating!

~Louise C.

Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CazleyLouise
Follow me on Twitter @LouiseCazley

1 comment:

  1. Hi Louise, do any of the listed joints serve turkey or veggie burgers...you that's how me and my sister, Clarissa eat burgers....Also when u when you are in Brooklyn, make sure you visit Johnny Mack; 1114 8Ave..7188327961..our favorite eating spot....and everyone there knows Clarissa.lol. The turkey burger is mad delicious, Clarissa's favorite Johnny Macks meal...they really should rename it 'The Rennix Burger'lol. Of course a variety of wines and ales and other great delicious dishes....Happy burger eating...Cheryl

    ReplyDelete